About six months ago we tried making Soap. It was a complete and utter disaster. After 24 hours the mixture separated and we had a hard bit at the bottom and then a very oily bit at the top. That mixture stayed there for weeks, with a little hope it might do something, but it didn't. After lots of reading, watching videos and doing the maths, we thought we'd give it another go.
Out came the ingredients and after a lot of careful measuring we were off in our second attempt. Lots of golden yellow oil and the lye water that we scorchingly hot!
Then there was the mixing. Lots and lots of mixing. I started it off by hand for half an hour and then got the big guns of the electric mixture out for another twenty. Fortunately we this time the colour change, it thickened and then the elusive trace happened. Hurrah - we might have just made it work this time!
Then there was the fun bit of added the sweetly scented oils. We made four different scents - Sweet Orange, Cinnamon, Lavender and English Rose. The kitchen smelled a treat! We sprinkled pretty things on top, Blue Lavender, Rose Petals, Cinnamon and Orange Zest. We then decanted the Soap into the containers, clamped on the lids and hid underneath a blanket for twenty four hours. I was very good and didn't peak once, honest! After the time had elapsed, we released the Soap from their containers and it had worked! We had Soap. We left it to cure for 4 weeks before chopping it up into bars.
We're going to give this away as Christmas presents this year so wrapped them individually in baking paper and Twine. I can't wait to give these beauties away - they smell divine and the bar I have used so far is quite alright!