As requested, here is the recipe for the Carrot Bran Muffins - they aren't too sweet so they are perfect for breakfast. They aren't quite like a traditional Muffin in texture and they have a lot less sugar and oil in comparison to a Carrot Cake. I can't remember where this recipe originally came from, it was passed to me by a friend and I just have it on a recipe card. I also must admit to not being the most precise baker....
- 225g plain flour
- 40g Bran
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- pinch of salt (the recipe did originally say half a teaspoon)
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon (I always do 2 very generous teaspoons)
- 1 egg
- 75ml water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 110g caster sugar
- 340g grated carrot
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 90ml vegetable oil
- good handful of sultanas - I use a lot, probably more like two handfuls. You don't have to use Sultanas, you can use Walnuts.
- Heat oven to 190 or gas 5-6
- Sift together into a large bowl the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cinnamon and then stir in the bran.
- In another bowl, beat the egg and add the milk, honey,sugar, vanilla and oil.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the dry and stir until combined - it might be really thick at this point, but when the carrots go in it will loosen up.
- Grate the carrots and add to the mixture - stir well.
- Add as many Sultanas as your heart desires
- Spoon into tins lined with Muffin cases and bake for 20-25 minutes.