Monday 3 September 2012

After Two Years...


We finally found her after two years of searching. Any antique shop that we have ever been passed we have stopped in and enquired if they had any Paper Knives. From Northumberland to Suffolk, all the places we could think of in Norfolk to places in Derbyshire, Wales and Dorset - all over the places. But to no avail. You see  I have a particular aversion to opening envelopes, I just don't think how it feels. Strange as that may sound, but hey, it's just one of my things. So a couple of years ago, my Husband suggested we look out for a Paper Knife. We decided we wanted something old, preferably before 1920 and something with an ornate handle. Little did we know how hard it would to be to find one...We have seen plenty, and I mean plenty of button hooks but very view Paper Knives.


And then, after a hard search we found one! We went to Tenterden in Kent on a bit of whim and in the second antique shop beautifully called the Antique and Silver Vaults, they had no less than five paper knives, more than we had seen total in the last two years.  I felt spoilt for choice and new one would be coming home with us. After a little debate we decided upon this little Victorian number. It was made in Sheffield in 1854. That means it's158 years old - 158 years old! The handle was just perfect, so pretty and feels good in the hand. There is a little damage, but it just adds to her character. Now every time I open an envelope it just makes me smile! She was well worth the wait!





3 comments:

ALoadofOldTat said...

It must be lovely to think what important correspondence your 158 year old paper knife has opened. Maybe the odd love letter included!

Vintage Sheet Addict said...

From now on you will open all your mail with confidence! I have my dads letter opener, I must find it and start using it! Ada :)

Lynne said...

Oh you've picked up something really lovely there! I can understand just how you feel about it, well done for persevering! My husband bought me a lovely modern one with a ceramic handle - lovely to look at - but it's never where I need it so I always end up ripping the envelope to shreds!