Monday, 16 April 2012

On a whim

I saw a tutorial online for button earrings yesterday over at Sew Hip and I just had to have a go. Fortunately, I've a stash of self cover buttons and earring posts so off I went to play. I've always told the Mr there's a good reason I collect craft supplies, although I'm sure he's not convinced...

It was a little fiddly to cover the buttons but once I got the hang of it, it was quite fun. I got the Dremel out to remove the plastic shanks and then glued on the earring posts. I've patiently waited the 24 hours for the glue to dry and now they are ready to wear. Hurrah!

I wasn't finished with making earrings though - I often do things in batches before moving onto my next project (obsessive much?! me?!). I got out a silicon mould I've had for an absolute age and my Polymer Clay and mixed up some pretty colours.

I then baked them, however, I made a complete rookie error and baked them at the Fahrenheit temperature when our oven is Celsius. Ooopsie! I had to start again, burnt Polymer Clay is not a good look. Fortunately, I got it right the second time and now I have lots of pretty flower earrings too!

1 comment:

Lynne said...

Oooh those earrings look so JUICY!
I really would like to make covered buttons - I have so much spare fabric, after all! - but when I tried some years back I found it so fiddly I gave up - perhaps i should give it another go!

Claire, I found some more Norfolk craft bloggers so here goes:
Laura -ratsinkimono.wordpress
Gill -
Luci- littleblueshed

Hope you enjoy them. I think we should have a get-together some time! Lx.